Saturday, February 9, 2008

Wauwa's babies & planning progress

Today Wauwatosa, one of my does, freshened (kidded). It was a normal delivery with two healthy kids (1 buck, 1 doe) and a healthy, great momma.

Here they are 4 hours old:

We have had 4 other kids this year, and all of them are leaving the farm for sure. This doeling may stay. I only get to keep 4 this year, so there are some hard decisions to be made. This doeling is a granddaughter to my 'best' doe, and her mother's udder looks better than her grandma's - so if that continues, she will be a remarkable little girl.

I'm happy it was such a smooth kidding and her udder freshened so beautifully because our logo is a drawing of Wauwa and her momma from pictures almost 2 years ago, they hold a special place in my heart and are part of the short history of our farm.

On a business note, I also got the bill in the mail today from our septic planner. It is under budget - as a matter of fact, his cost and the county fee is just under 1/2 of what I budgetted for. Not quite enough to save our financial shortage, but every bit helps!

Our septic plan is the first of many steps just falling into place after nearly 2 years of planning. Once we receive approval, we will move ahead with getting permanent power to the barn, and then building out the barn to our dairy plan specs. Our dairy plan specs are being designed as I type by another marvelous member of our community that is doing it well under what we expected because he believes so much in our project! I see some free cheese in his future!

By the end of February we should have dates set for the electric install and hopefully a construction schedule for the little things, like floors and walls. :)

By the way, I had an old blog (goatmilker/blogspot.com) 2 years ago that shows pictures of Wauwa and some of my other herdmates as babies.

No comments: